Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

Backyard Butterfly

We got a little mini Sunday Science lesson yesterday. We happened upon a butterfly in our backyard that didn't seem to be afraid of us. He was fluttering low to the ground under our crabapple tree. Evan and I followed him. I had my camera with me, of course. ;) In these two pictures, it's hard to see the butterfly that Evan is looking at. We actually kept losing sight of him, since the pattern on his wings comouflaged him so well.
Here he is close up.....so pretty!

Then he fluttered a bit and landed on a piece of crabapple that was on the ground. Evan and I got to watch Mr. (or Mrs.) Butterfly eat his dinner. You can see his probiscus in the picture below!

I video taped him eating, but Blogger wouldn't let me upload it, so the pics will have to do. It was really neat, though.
We are having such a beautiful weekend here in Northern Virginia! Hope you are, too, wherever you are!
TTFN
~Tina

No comments: