Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Birth of Our Lady and the Beginning of Another School Year

We went to Mass this morning at a local church. It's not the church we belong to, but it is one that many of our friends attend, and we do belong to their homeschool group. It is a beautiful church, very new and yet has an old feel to it because it's not modern looking at all (thank goodness). I'll admit, it was a bit rough getting up to get across town by 9 am. , especially after just getting back from the beach. But it was a beautiful way to start the new school year.

We celebrated the Nativity of Our Lady at Mass and with friends, old and new, and at the church hall afterwards. There was a puppet show, that really held Evan's interest, and a cupcake rosary to be enjoyed. There was a craft for the children and good conversations with friends, many of whom we haven't seen all summer. It was a really good start to the school year.

Before we left, we took flowers to the statue of Mary in the church, and said a prayer to her. I always find it so fitting that the celebration of her birth comes at the beginning of the new school year. It's a reminder to me, to try to imitate her life, to follow her example of patience and love and saying yes to God, no matter what. It's a reminder that God is in control here, not me and I need to accept when things do not go the way I plan. And that I need to see the beauty in the everyday tasks of life. As the priest said this morning, "Mary did everyday tasks....perfectly." I need to find the joy in the everyday tasks that God has called me to do, and do them to the best of my ability.

So, I'm off start dinner and check school papers. And I shall do my best. :-)
TTFN
~Tina

No comments: