Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Our Thanksgiving Day 2008

We spent our Thanksgiving here, this year, the kids, John and I. Although no family was able to spend this holiday with us, we still wanted it to be special, of course, so Taylor and I planned the menu and created a cozy, yummy Thanksgiving dinner.

We started this Thanksgiving Day, as we always do, with breakfast and the Macy's Parade. I made orange cranberry mini muffins. The house smelled so good as they were baking, and they were quite tasty, too.
Skylar was thrilled to see David Archuleta (from American Idol) perform in the parade. ANd even though the parade is long, and Evan was back and forth between watching it, running like a wild boy all through the house, and playing in the other room, some of the parade managed to catch his eye.

He got a kick out of the Sesame Street gang.
All the children started out watching, but came and went as they pleased. Although Skylar was glued to the TV until David Archuleta performed.
Throughout the day, we played games, relaxed, watched movies, and ate too much. Skylar played outside for a time, too.

As part of our dinner, Taylor made my grandma's scalloped potatoes. I remember making these in my grandma's kitchen when I was about Taylor's age.

We had pumpkin pie and chocolate pie for dessert. I made the chocolate pie that I used to make when John and I were first married. It's so simple and delicious! I'll try to post the recipe later. It requires no baking, but it does have to chill for 4 hours.

We had quite a nice dinner together. After we prayed, everyone listed something they were thankful for. You know, I think we should do that every day. And here is our traditional centerpiece. My mom bought this for John and I when we first got married and left PA. She has a matching one, so that no matter where we are on Thanksgiving, we can look at the same centerpiece and be reminded of our family.
Before bed, we put on our pjs, and watched movies. The original plan was for us all to watch the classic Cheaper By The Dozen, but it was too slow moving for the younger set, so John took Alexa and Evan upstairs to watch The Incredibles.
Hope your Thanksgiving was a pleasant one. And good luck if you go shopping this weekend!
TTFN
~Tina

1 comment:

Grandma Jo said...

Very well done, my dear daughter! Wish I could have been there. Sounds like a great family day, as it should be. I know you are thankful for all you have and esp each other. Missed you and love you and hope to see you soon!
Hugs and blessings,
Mom/Gma Jo :)